NerdiPoppers – can you believe we’re in December! Only 24 more sleeps until Christmas!
No matter where you live in the world, on 25 December a special feeling spreads across the globe. It’s a feeling of goodwill, peace, and love.
In South Africa this is no different. We South Africans love Christmas.
Not feeling festive yet – feeling a little Grinchy? Below you will find some ideas on how to get yourself into the Christmas Spirit!
- Put up your Christmas tree and decorate it with lights, decorations, and happy memories. We have a tradition in our house where we hang up photos or trinkets of people that are not there anymore on our Christmas tree to remember them.
- Hang up Christmas ornaments in your house, your garden – wherever you can.
- Go see the Christmas displays at various shopping malls.
- Make an advent calendar. There are many options – kids might prefer a sweetie every day of December. Other people might prefer a bottle of wine or an inspirational message daily.
- Put up solar lights in your garden. They are relatively inexpensive and look beautiful at night.
- Play Christmas music. There are loads to choose from Neil Diamond, Nat King Cole, Josh Groban to Michael Buble’s Christmas albums.
- Watch some great Christmas movies.
- Get in touch with family and friends. This is the time for togetherness, so don’t hesitate to call your family or invite them for a barbecue.
- Read Christmas themed books like “A Christmas Carol”, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and “Rise of the Guardians”.
- Bake Christmas cookies in various shapes – Christmas trees, Gingerbread men, Stars, and Angels.
- Buy small cost-effective gifts for your loved ones or make your own Christmas gifts. Remember Christmas is a time for giving, but it doesn’t mean you have to be all extravagant.
- If you have kids, tell them to write Santa a letter and to leave cookies out for him the night before Christmas. When they are sleeping, quickly take a few bites out of the cookies and drink some of the milk. The next morning look all surprised with them – Santa was really here!
- Be generous and donate some of your time to the less fortunate. We usually do a Christmas Party for one or more of our charities in Bloem. This really gets you into the Christmas Spirit.
- Go to a Carol service. If you are religious, attend church services where you can sing Christmas inspired songs. If you’re not, attend events like Carols at Candlelight to get yourself into the spirit.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS SEASON ALL!