Predators (2010) features Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Alice Braga, Walton Goggins, Laurence Fishburne, Danny Trejo, Mahershala Ali, Oleg Taktarov and Louis Ozawa Changchien. It was directed by Nimród Antal. It is the third film in the Predator series of movies.
Robert Rodriquez (El Mariachi and Desperado) produced the picture, which was scripted by Alex Litvak and Michael Finch. While working on Desperado in 1994, Robert Rodriguez wrote an early draft for 20th Century Fox. When he offered the script to the studio, they opted to reject it because the budget would have been enormous. The script reappeared after 15 years, and they chose to use it.
“It’s the story from that script I had written way back then. They had hired me to write a Predator story while I was waiting to do Desperado back in 1995. It was crazy, this thing I came up with. So then fast-forward to now and, like, six months ago, they found the script and called me up. ‘Hey, we want to redo this franchise and we found your old script. This is where we should have gone with the series! We want to move forward.’ And that’s what we’re doing” – Robert Rodriguez
The film was produced under Robert Rodriguez trouble maker studios, as opposed to 20th Century Fox, so that Robert Rodriguez could have more creative control over the film. It was originally thought that Robert Rodriguez would helm the director’s chair, but Nimród Antal was officially signed to direct the movie.
Rodriguez and Antal both expressed they wanted this movie to be a sequel to the original 1987 Predator movie. They expressed they wanted the film to be more closer in tone to the original, as Aliens vs Predator films had taken the predator series in a too outlandish direction.
In June 2014, Fox announced that a sequel to Predators with Shane Black writing and directing.
8 Fun facts about Predators (2010)
- According to Nimród Antal and Robert Rodriguez on the commentary track, in the script the character Cuchillo was described as “a guy who looks like Danny Trejo”. When Danny Trejo heard this he called Robert Rodriguez and said “Hey, I heard there’s a guy in the script for ‘Predators’ who looks just like Danny Trejo and guess what, I look just like Danny Trejo!”.
- Louis Ozawa Changchien insisted that his character Hanzo fight using Kendo, as he is a practitioner of the Martial Arts.
- The original script called for cameo appearances by Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and Michael Harrigan (Danny Glover), however these appearances were cut.
- According to the director Nimród Antal, the lower jaw on the mask of the Bezerker Predator is that of an Alien from the Alien movies.
- The Alien creature that chases Edwin (Topher Grace) through the jungle during the ambush scene is a slightly modified version of the original, abandoned Predator design from 1987
- According to Robert Rodriguez the title of Predators, is a double entendre, describing the Alien Hunters as well as the ensemble human characters they target “They could very well kill each other off even if there were no Predators!”
- Alice Braga read a sniper manual in preparation for her role and carried a fourteen pound sniper rifle around with her during the filming.
- Noland claims to have been on the planet between seven to ten seasons. In Earth time he’s been there at most a little over two years.