Get ready to dive into the enchanting world of ‘Hocus Pocus’! Join us on a magical journey as we uncover fascinating behind-the-scenes tidbits, quirky trivia, and spellbinding secrets about the beloved movie that continues to cast its spell on audiences of all ages.
Hocus Pocus (1993)
(1) Bette Midler’s Personal Pick: In a 2008 interview on the BBC’s “Breakfast,” Bette Midler shared that among all her films, ‘Hocus Pocus’ holds a special place as her favourite.
(2) From TV Script to Theatrical Success: Originally penned as a Disney Channel Original Movie, ‘Hocus Pocus’ caught the attention of higher-ups at Disney who believed it had the potential for a successful theatrical run.
(3) The Moth Mystery Unveiled: During a 20th-anniversary screening of the film, Doug Jones, who played “Billy Butcherson,” revealed that the moths emerging from his mouth in the final scene were real, not CGI.
(4) Lost Footage: Several scenes featured in the original trailer never made it to the final versions of the movie, including the kids’ attempt to push the witches into a pool and Mary’s grocery store escapade.
(5) The Almost Max: Leonardo DiCaprio was initially considered for the role of Max Dennison, but he turned it down in favour of another project, opening the door for Omri Katz to step in.
Hocus Pocus 2 (2022)
(6) Musical Flashback: During the musical sequence, eagle-eyed fans might notice that several outfits resemble those from the original movie, including Max’s mother’s Madonna costume.
(7) Next Chapter: In 2018, A.W. Jantha penned a sequel book that shifted the focus onto Max and Allison’s daughter, Poppy.
(8) A Wig with History: Doug Jones spilled a backstage secret on Michael Rosenbaum’s “Inside Of You” podcast – the wig he sported as Billy Butcherson in the first movie also made its comeback appearance in the sequel.
(9) Stitched Spell: When Winnie casts her wicked spell on poor Billy Butcherson, take a closer look at the stitches – they spell out “Kill.”
(10) Eight-Legged Intruders: Those creepy-crawly spiders that terrorize Salem villagers in the beginning? They’re Golden Silk Orb Weavers, complete with tan bodies, white dots and stripes, and impressively long black and yellow legs. Don’t worry, though – they’re not as menacing as they seem!
(11) A Familiar Tune: Staying true to tradition, the three sisters belt out a captivating rendition of Blondie’s “One Way Or Another” during their show-stopping stage performance.
(12) Mary’s Shift: If you’re keen-eyed, you might notice Mary’s lips playing a little game of switcheroo. In the first movie, they twisted to the right; now, they’re on the left. Blame it on Winifred’s slap that caused Mary’s mouth to change sides, all while Kathy Najimy reveals a charming behind-the-scenes tidbit.
(13) Missing Link: Thora Birch, who portrayed Danni in the original ‘Hocus Pocus,’ missed out on the sequel. Her reason? Scheduling conflicts – by the time filming rolled around, she was already committed to another project.
(14) Original Magic: Despite a wealth of call-backs, only Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, Sarah Jessica Parker and Doug Jones reprised their roles for the sequel, adding that familiar touch to the bewitching brew.
(15) Love Unveiled: The new movie ties up a loose end in Billy Butcherson’s story, clarifying that his and Winnie’s connection wasn’t exactly a grand romance – they shared a single kiss that sealed their fate.